Rovoreed speech module

place your wishes & dreams here...
(only Organiser II related, please!)
amenjet

Re: Rovoreed speech module

Post by amenjet »

MartinReid wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm Everyone...

Olivier’s Web-Site Archive
Because we haven't heard from Olivier for a long time and as his site might have been compromised we have reproduced most of his printed material in the technical reference manual section (here)
I think it would be an idea to archive the Psion related circuit diagrams, too, just in case.

Andrew
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

MartinReid wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm
Speech synthesiser
On the topic of recreating a speech synthesiser how do members feel about 'crowd funding one' then asking Andrew if he'll make one for the forum that members can 'share'.

When I was fortunate enough to have the lone of one I used it for a few months, wrote programmes for it and compiled a dictionary database of words that were not in its dictionary... Made a couple of podcasts etc... And after a couple of months I knew enough about it to be able to send it back to the owner.

Andrew... If 5 members pledged £10.00 each would you be able to 'knock one up' for that? (£50.00)

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin

PS here is a copy of the Vocabulary database, Podcast OPL, DBF and WMA
PodCast.zip
I'm quite interested in one of these for myself, to have a play with. i had a quick look at Olivier's schematic, and a search for parts. There's a few issues around making one of these:

1) There appear to be a lot of fake parts on ebay. I've found a source or two that should be more likely to not supply fakes, but there's still a small chance that they are actually out of stock, or that they also turn out to be fakes. So, if the chips aren't available then a different chip would need to be made and custom code written.
2) The interface to the chip is a one-off design that doesn't seem to be related to any of the other peripherals, so it'll be hardware to work out what the hardware should look like so that the code works properly. Disassembly of the code is a possible option, to see what it is doing. So, it could take a bit of work to get the hardware working if Olivier's schematics aren't identical with the original.
3) I get a minimum of 5 PCBs when i order a design, so doing one to five of a thing is essentially the same. Obviously for prototypes, if they don't work then I only build one, not 5.
4) Do we know if there's 5-ish people interested? I'd like one, but I'm a special case as I'll end up with a few in various states of non-workiness...
5) I'm happy to fund the project, if people want to buy some later, that's fine, or crowd fund a shared unit.
6) Do people want a speech unit, or specifically an SP0256 based speech unit? If the SP0256 is unobtainable then would a different chip be acceptable. Or a new design based on modern components?
7) The box problem. I tend to leave my adapters as PCBs, but I realise other people don't. So we are back to the problem of boxes. I have some plastic now but haven't had a chance to machine the test part yet. This is a different problem to the speech unit I suppose,

if an SP0256 unit is what is wanted here (and it looks like an interesting chip) then the next step is probably to try to get a number of known good chips. i think the only way to do that, really, is to buy some and build a test jig that can test them. Or maybe buy one from a number of suppliers and see who is selling real ones.

I'm happy to buy a few from various sources and build the jig to see if they are good or not. What is a good number to use as the number of final units that should be made?

Andrew
Lepowerfulpierre

Post by Lepowerfulpierre »

There were a number of specific peripherals that used the same case as the Synthesiser. One was the original paralink. The later paralinks were made to fit the standard Comms Link or power adapter case, and had inbuilt software. These were preferable to the earlier version paralinks where the software was on a datapack. I have had quite a number in the past, and I think there are probably quite a few lying redundant in the bottom of cupboards.
Other peripherals with the same case were used for automobile diagnostics and other specific interfaces, which again will be redundant. I also think some of the Dynasys peripherals had the same case.
I would be happy to offer £50 for working Synthesisers (realistically they are probably worth double that).
Lepowerfulpierre

Post by Lepowerfulpierre »

At a quick glance all the following peripherals were based on the same case:-
Dynasys barcomm
Dynasys relay comm
Dynabar
Dynatouch
Dynapen
KDG Mobley Smart
MTL Comms
MTL Hart interface
Powabak
Sony Itch 1 (and 2)
Sony PRM
Touch plus
and several more unidentified ones!
So there must be quite a few still kicking about!
Daren

Post by Daren »

I’d pay £50 for one too.

A few random thoughts:

An off the shelf plastic enclosure would be fine, I’m pretty sure I could source something suitable, the main consideration is to make the PCB easy enough to mount in such a box, with regard to the slot connector and audio jack.

I don’t mind if a different but similar speech chip is used, I believe there are a few in the same family.

I have no idea about the software side, but my limited understanding of speech synthesis is that a lot of them make words from allophones, so a way to add words and also speech parameters (speed, pitch, tone etc) would be useful.

I’m quite happy to contribute to a group buy and also ideas, if there are enough interested parties.
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Well, after some work I have managed to (I hope) buy a pair of the SP0256AL2 chips. I'm pretty sure they aren't fakes, but will check them when the PCB is designed. They are quite expensive, at £9.50 each, which will make the unit fairly expensive as it has quite a lot of circuitry on it.
I have started work on a PCB which is based on Olivier's but will use circuitry from the USB adapter I did recently in a couple of places.

I have asked the supplier how many of these chips they have, to get some idea of how many units I could build.

Andrew
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Looks like there's no problem getting anoter 10 chips, so there must be quite a stock of them. Of course, there's the £95 that's involved... :-)

Some questions:

1. Are we aiming for the same case size? the original has two PCBs joined with wires and I'd like to do away with that and have one PCB. That might require a slightly larger box. Is that a problem.
2. Does anyone have experience with small PCB mounted speakers? Any recommendations? Preferably cheap.
3. Do we need/want a headphone jack?
4. I've added the same USB power supply as the USB adapter has, it powers VB and hence the organiser and module. Does that sound useful?
Daren

Post by Daren »

1. Don’t mind, 1 PCB is better than 2
2. These sound ok https://proto-pic.co.uk/product/sparkfu ... -pcb-mount 30mm I think you can get them in 23mm too, or if you don’t mind flying wires I can donate 9 of these https://www.rapidonline.com/vibration-s ... hm-35-0153 they can be coupled to the case and use it as a resonator to produce the sound. Or forgo a speaker altogether and just have a headphone jack and use an external speaker connected to that
3. I think a headphone jack is needed to not annoy other people when using it, also handy for recording :D
4. USB power sounds very useful indeed, a USB power bank can then be used.

Is there a rom in the original BTW?
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Daren wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:24 am 1. Don’t mind, 1 PCB is better than 2
2. These sound ok https://proto-pic.co.uk/product/sparkfu ... -pcb-mount 30mm I think you can get them in 23mm too, or if you don’t mind flying wires I can donate 9 of these https://www.rapidonline.com/vibration-s ... hm-35-0153 they can be coupled to the case and use it as a resonator to produce the sound. Or forgo a speaker altogether and just have a headphone jack and use an external speaker connected to that
3. I think a headphone jack is needed to not annoy other people when using it, also handy for recording :D
4. USB power sounds very useful indeed, a USB power bank can then be used.

Is there a rom in the original BTW?
1. Definitely.
2. I saw those 30mm ones, but have never used them. What I'll try to do is put a footprint for that one and then it can be desoldered and a different one put in if required.
3. I'll add one.
4. That's done.

Yes, I'm pretty sure there's a ROM in the original, you can see it side-on here:

https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/pics/gall ... h_ins5.jpg

I've done a circuit, just waiting for parts to turn up, I may prototype this adapter as it's a bit different to the others.

Andrew
Daren

Post by Daren »

Great to hear, are you going to be able to get the rom?