Wanted - DataPak formatter and RamPak

place your wishes & dreams here...
(only Organiser II related, please!)
ScottRichards

Post by ScottRichards »

Hi Folks,

I've been doing some personal project work involving trying to use a Raspberry pi to read/write to DataPak's via a custom lead. I have a few blank DataPak's I'm using for this, but in the process of development I've wrote some bad data to them, so need to wipe them. Does anyone have or know of a EEPROM eraser which is compatible with the Official Psion2 DataPak's (32K Paged).

Additionally, I would like to try and also test with RamPak's (and even FlashPak's) if possible, so I'm looking for one of those. It doesn't need to have a fresh battery as I'm using it for testing and not longer-term storage. So losing the data on power loss isn't an issue in my case.

Cheers,
Scott
MartinReid

Post by MartinReid »

Dear Scott

There is a datapak formatter on ebay £28.49 (free postage from Bridgwater) or if you prefer I've continued (here) the 'free' datapak erasing service you guys started on the original ORG2 web-site.

Peter had/has Rampacks/Flash datapaks in his ebay store and of course Olivier had his large capacity Ram and Flash packs but unfortunatly these have all sold out and I can't image anyone parting with one now. but maybe others know better..

Sincerely Martin
MartinP

Re: Wanted - DataPak formatter and RamPak

Post by MartinP »

Scott,
Your Raspberry Pi project sounds interesting, I did something similar with an Arduino, you can see the project here:
https://hackaday.io/project/176677-psio ... aderwriter

And Matt Callow also did a similar thing:
https://hackaday.io/project/168408-psio ... te-control

Maybe you can find something useful in the code?
Martin
MartinReid

Hackaday Project Datapak and Rampak Reader/Writer

Post by MartinReid »

Dear Martin

It's posts like this that make me thankful Olivier set up this forum... This project had completely passed me by... When did you put this project on Hackaday?

It's unfortunate that Oliviers 'shop' has closed and the web-site gone completly, so the links to his sites in your descrption now don't work.

I know Nickos will be interested in your link to Matt Callows Bluetooth PSION 2 Remote Control.

If you or Matt have copies of Olivier's schematics or other documentation it might be good to post them somewhere on this forum as we are unable to get them from him now.

Really nice work, thank you for sharing it.
Always sincere
Martin Reid
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

MartinR,
Sorry to hear that Olivier closed his site, did he say why?
I do have copies of most of the schematics, I think.
I posted that Hackaday project in April this year, it was something that kept me busy during lockdown. I'll have to update it a bit now.
Cheers,
MartinP
MartinReid

Olivier's documentation

Post by MartinReid »

MartinP wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:54 pm MartinR,
Sorry to hear that Olivier closed his site, did he say why?
I do have copies of most of the schematics, I think.
I posted that Hackaday project in April this year, it was something that kept me busy during lockdown. I'll have to update it a bit now.
Cheers,
MartinP
Dear Martin

We don't know why Olivier's shop in closed or why his site is down, no one has been able to make contact with him.

It is good news that you might have copies of his documents and schematics. If it is alright with you; I'll put them in an appendix in the republished technical reference manual along with your Power PCB Schematic. If you can ZIP them up and send them to the email address you have for me (see 15th October PM) I'll endeavour to get them in the manual.

If anyone reading this has any other news about Olivier then please PM me..

Sincerely
Martin Reid

PS sometimes that lock down can be seen as a blessing in disguise
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

ScottRichards wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:58 pm Hi Folks,

I've been doing some personal project work involving trying to use a Raspberry pi to read/write to DataPak's via a custom lead. I have a few blank DataPak's I'm using for this, but in the process of development I've wrote some bad data to them, so need to wipe them. Does anyone have or know of a EEPROM eraser which is compatible with the Official Psion2 DataPak's (32K Paged).

Additionally, I would like to try and also test with RamPak's (and even FlashPak's) if possible, so I'm looking for one of those. It doesn't need to have a fresh battery as I'm using it for testing and not longer-term storage. So losing the data on power loss isn't an issue in my case.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott,

The datapacks that use EPROMs should be erasable with any eraser that is designed to erase EPROMs. I had (and still have) an eraser from the 80s that looks very similar to one that Psion sold, but the bulb had gone in it. I couldn't find a replacement so bought a cheap one from China. Beware of those, the mechanical interlock for the UV is dodgy and the mains plug it was supplied with was a joke. I ended up getting a model similar to my 80s one off ebay.

Regards
Andrew
Lepowerfulpierre

Post by Lepowerfulpierre »

Hi Scott, I have 32k Rampacks without batteries £5 each & postage.They are functional, but obviously loose any data when removed from the organiser.
Martin Reid offers a datapack erasing service for postage charge only ( I think), or I can supply a Psion II UV eraser for £20 & postage.
Lepowerfulpierre

Post by Lepowerfulpierre »

I also have flash Datapacks with a free formatting datapack. One 128k for £17.50 including formatting pack (+ postage at cost), or some of Olivier’s 512k flash Datapacks on eBay. It looks as though the latter will become very hard to obtain once these are gone unless Olivier resurfaces, or someone else has the capability to remanufacture them.