Troubleshoot Connecting Bluetooth Comms Link to Windows.

Looking for PSION Organiser II Software
NickKostelidis

Re: Troubleshoot Connecting Bluetooth Comms Link to Windows.

Post by NickKostelidis »

Thank you one more time Martin.
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

NickKostelidis wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:13 pm Hello to all.
Finally I managed to send a file from Psion II (LZ) to PC via bluetooth module.I used two bluetooth modules. First time I connected an HC-05 to the exit of a comms link cable.Second time I connected an HC-06 to the exit of a comms link cable. The difference between these two modules is that HC-05 module can work as "master" and as "slave". HC-06 module can work only as a slave.
This time I used both of them as "slave".
I was trying for many days now to send a file from Psion II to PC and I was receiving a file like the picture above this post (many thanks to Martin for the posting of the pictures).
Today I decided to apply 5V power on the module instead of   3.3V I was applying before. And then the miracle happened.
I received the file to the PC as I received it when I sent it from Psion II to PC via cable using Psi2Win.
At this point I have to say something strange to me.
The connection between comms link and the module is as follows
1 The TxD wire (yellow) of comms link to RxD pin of the module.
2 The RxD wire (orange) of comms link to TxD pin of the module.
3 The + wire (red) of the external battery I used to VCC pin of the module.
4 The - wire (black) of the external battery I used to GND pin of the module.
Normally I think I have to connect the GND (black) wire of the comms link to GND pin of the module, like the one from the battery.
When I did this , absolutely nothing happened.
When I disconnected the GND wire of comms link from the module,
Psion II sent the file to the PC normally.
Strange to me but it works.
The setup I used is Baud rate 9600, parity none, data bits 8, stop bits 1, Hand none, Protocol none, Echo Host.
When I tried to change Protocol from None to Psion or to XModem, no connection was taking place.
I also tried to send a string to the PC using LPRINT command.
It was successful too. I used XModem protocol to send the string and it was successful too.
But when I tried to send the string using PSION protocol there was no connection.
Finally I found out that it works even with 3.3V battery. The point is that the GND wire of comms link must not be connected to the GND pin of the bluetooth module.
Now the next step is to find out how to save this data on PC.
For the moment I have done this using the "bluetooth serial terminal" app using my mobile phone. With this app you can save the downloaded data into your mobile phone or to share with email.
Also I have to find an app on PC in order to send data from the PC to Psion II. Unfortunately this cannot be done using Psi2Win.
Attachments
IMG_20210209_100058.jpg
IMG_20210209_095246.jpg
MartinReid

HELP with Windows 10 Bluetooth Serial Terminal

Post by MartinReid »

Nick

I realise there is very little support information on line for the Windows 10 Bluetooth Serial Terminal. You will know it was released by NMinion and their support help address is navvsuppport@outlook.com. Maybe they can point you in the direction of a user group or forum.

Martin
NickKostelidis

Re: HELP with Windows 10 Bluetooth Serial Terminal

Post by NickKostelidis »

MartinReid wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:54 pm Nick

I realise there is very little support information on line for the Windows 10 Bluetooth Serial Terminal. You will know it was released by NMinion and their support help address is navvsuppport@outlook.com. Maybe they can point you in the direction of a user group or forum.

Martin
I have just found a simple way to save downloaded data from Psion II (LZ).
I just can mark all downloaded data (by pressing Ctr&A keys) on the bluetooth serial terminal
and paste them to an editor like WordPad or Notepad or anything you prefer.
Then you can save it as a text file :)
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

NickKostelidis wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:31 am
NickKostelidis wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:13 pm Hello to all.
Finally I managed to send a file from Psion II (LZ) to PC via bluetooth module.I used two bluetooth modules. First time I connected an HC-05 to the exit of a comms link cable.Second time I connected an HC-06 to the exit of a comms link cable. The difference between these two modules is that HC-05 module can work as "master" and as "slave". HC-06 module can work only as a slave.
This time I used both of them as "slave".
I was trying for many days now to send a file from Psion II to PC and I was receiving a file like the picture above this post (many thanks to Martin for the posting of the pictures).
Today I decided to apply 5V power on the module instead of   3.3V I was applying before. And then the miracle happened.
I received the file to the PC as I received it when I sent it from Psion II to PC via cable using Psi2Win.
At this point I have to say something strange to me.
The connection between comms link and the module is as follows
1 The TxD wire (yellow) of comms link to RxD pin of the module.
2 The RxD wire (orange) of comms link to TxD pin of the module.
3 The + wire (red) of the external battery I used to VCC pin of the module.
4 The - wire (black) of the external battery I used to GND pin of the module.
Normally I think I have to connect the GND (black) wire of the comms link to GND pin of the module, like the one from the battery.
When I did this , absolutely nothing happened.
When I disconnected the GND wire of comms link from the module,
Psion II sent the file to the PC normally.
Strange to me but it works.
The setup I used is Baud rate 9600, parity none, data bits 8, stop bits 1, Hand none, Protocol none, Echo Host.
When I tried to change Protocol from None to Psion or to XModem, no connection was taking place.
I also tried to send a string to the PC using LPRINT command.
It was successful too. I used XModem protocol to send the string and it was successful too.
But when I tried to send the string using PSION protocol there was no connection.
Finally I found out that it works even with 3.3V battery. The point is that the GND wire of comms link must not be connected to the GND pin of the bluetooth module.
Now the next step is to find out how to save this data on PC.
For the moment I have done this using the "bluetooth serial terminal" app using my mobile phone. With this app you can save the downloaded data into your mobile phone or to share with email.
Also I have to find an app on PC in order to send data from the PC to Psion II. Unfortunately this cannot be done using Psi2Win.
I keep trying to finalize the project  of communication via bluetooth between Psion II and PC.My last conclusion is that we have to interject a 10 khom resistor between the GND of comms link and the GND pin of the bluetooth module.Maybe the value of the resistor could be lower, but I cannot buy another one now, because stores are closed here due to covid 19.A friend of mine (he is an expert in electronics) told me that 1 khom is enough.
Communication is successful even without connection between two GND pins but this is not normal.
So up to now we have one way communication (Psion II to PC).
In order to have two way communication we must make a new app (for the PC) that will making the pair between PC's bluetooth and Psion's bluetooth. For this it is not absolutely neccessary to have communication using the PSION protocol as we do using Psi2Win app.