Serial SD data storage?

Feel free to discuss any harware topic here
Daren

Serial SD data storage?

Post by Daren »

I came across this device, it is a SD card data logger (available cheaper in generic form on ebay eg item number 262668032377) https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/op ... 1665831127

Would it work with Psion via comms link, I think it might but not sure, could be interesting if it can work though, might be a way to back up files as well?
Daren

Re: Serial SD data storage?

Post by Daren »

Well, I ordered one from ebay, I’ll try it out and report back, I’m hoping I can use it for something, but for the price it was worth a punt.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

This looks interesting, there are cheaper SD card boards, but they generally need an Arduino or similar to control them, this integrates that into one small board with what looks like quite useful firmware.
Martin P.
Daren

Post by Daren »

This is the one I got https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-Openlog-Se ... 2668032377 £7.99 and coupled with a RS232 to TTL adapter £2.99, then built into a little plastic box for about £1 could be quite a useful tool for the £12 outlay and a bit of DIY - I have a few other old computers (TRS80 model 100, Psion 3a, Amstrad NC100) so chances are I might be able to use it with those too. With these small file sizes 9600 baud should be perfectly ok.

Funny, I rarely used rs232/serial comms in the past since USB, but now it is “obsolete” I find myself using it, one advantage over USB is wider compatibility and no drivers needed :)
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

How do you set the filename that data is saved to or retrieved from?

Andrew
jarrydn

Post by jarrydn »

Interesting solution!
amenjet wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:33 pm How do you set the filename that data is saved to or retrieved from?

Andrew
Hmm. Datetime?
Daren

Post by Daren »

amenjet wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:33 pm How do you set the filename that data is saved to or retrieved from?

Andrew
Not sure yet, some OPL program probably, initially I’ll just try it with terminal/capture.
Daren

Post by Daren »

The board was faulty (vendor had not set fuses correctly so code was running at 1/16th speed :roll: ) so I’m waiting on a replacement before any testing can commence.
Daren

Post by Daren »

The working replacement arrived today, I was able to send a notepad file to the SD card, and see the text on the PC by putting the card in, there are a few odd characters at the start and end of the file, but at least it is able to get some data from the Psion. I ran out of time for further testing today, but will have a fiddle with it in the coming days.

The files are named on the card as LOGxxxxx.TXT.
423BC255-CFE1-4CD2-8E2E-CB8A1B9BBA61.jpeg
MartinReid

a few odd characters

Post by MartinReid »

Daren...

Those characters..

I Don't know about the QQQNNN!! but I get the back facing black 'triangle' at the start of an Organiser printout with both PSI2Win and/or ORG-Link. With OPL LPRINT it appears at the start of the printout - as if it was an 'RTS' character, so predictable I always print a 'blank' line at the start of a printout.
LPRINT PSI2Win
LPRINT PSI2Win
The Pocket spreadsheet on the other hand places one at the start of each line for some reason.
Plan Spreadsheet Print
Plan Spreadsheet Print
The 'little' right facing arrow I some times get at the end of a file transfer with PSI2Win and ORG-Link. I thought it was an 'EOF' character. It is not there every time in Notepads and/or ODB's. This is more of a pain than the block triangle above, because if I don't check for it and then 'build' that file into a datapak image the file will be corrupt and you can't use it.
? EOF ? character
? EOF ? character
If you get to the bottom of what exactly these are and how to prevent them I would be interested.
Sincerely
Martin