olivierg

Re: Comms Link and Bluetooth

Post by olivierg »

Maybe XMODEM protocol.
MartinReid

Comms Link and Bluetooth - [Transmit] and [Receive]

Post by MartinReid »

Dear Nick and Olivier...
Well done boys, you look to be getting there.

Nick can you try something for me...

Considerations...
CL.exe, Psi2Win or ORG-Link are file servers, they wait for instructions from the Organiser. They don't 'send' information they just make it available to be 'got' by the Organiser (on reflection the PC does run FTRAN).

Anyway please try this
(1) Make your Bluetooth connection to a PC
(2) [Transmit] an ODB file from Organiser to PC
(3) Confirm the file is in the bluetooth terminal on the PC (leave it there)
(4) Exit Comms Link and delete the file from the Organiser (just to be sure)
(5) Remake the Bluetooth connection to the PC with the ODB still in the terminal
(6) Use [Receive] - use the same file name used to send the file. and see if it 'gets' the file?

Did it find it? - On reflection... probably not because the terminal cannot run FTRAN.

You once said "one of the modules (HC-05 and HC-06) was send only" so if it didn't work could you try it with both.

Martin
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

olivierg wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:23 pm Maybe XMODEM protocol.
With XMODEM protocol sends "strings" with LPRINT command and I suppose that receives "strings" with LINPUT command.
This happen with "NONE" protocol too.
But when you want to transmit or to receive a file, you have to use only "NONE" protocol.
If Boris was alive I am sure he would have fix the problem with Psi2Win.Now we must find a solution (another app instead of Psi2Win).
NickKostelidis

Re: Comms Link and Bluetooth - [Transmit] and [Receive]

Post by NickKostelidis »

MartinReid wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:34 pm Dear Nick and Olivier...
Well done boys, you look to be getting there.

Nick can you try something for me...

Considerations...
CL.exe, Psi2Win or ORG-Link are file servers, they wait for instructions from the Organiser. They don't 'send' information they just make it available to be 'got' by the Organiser (on reflection the PC does run FTRAN).

Anyway please try this
(1) Make your Bluetooth connection to a PC
(2) [Transmit] an ODB file from Organiser to PC
(3) Confirm the file is in the bluetooth terminal on the PC (leave it there)
(4) Exit Comms Link and delete the file from the Organiser (just to be sure)
(5) Remake the Bluetooth connection to the PC with the ODB still in the terminal
(6) Use [Receive] - use the same file name used to send the file. and see if it 'gets' the file?

Did it find it? - On reflection... probably not because the terminal cannot run FTRAN.

You once said "one of the modules (HC-05 and HC-06) was send only" so if it didn't work could you try it with both.

Martin
Martin I have tried to do what you say some days before.
The problem is that until now I have not found the way to send back a file using terminals on the PC. The "Bluetooth serial terminal for windows 10" app, not have this option. I can't find this option in the "Tera term" app either. Furthermore I notice that there is a difficulty for Windows 10 to pair PC's bluetooth with external bluetooth devices. This must be done with some app like "Bluetooth serial terminal".
I also notice that this is much easier when I try to pair HC-05 or HC-06 modules with a smartphone using ""Bluetooth serial terminal" for android. But even with my smartphone I didn't manage to send a file back to the organizer. I am sure that if I find the suitable app, Psion II will receive a file (odb) using the "receive" option of Comms menu.
JamesF

Post by JamesF »

Hello all. This is my first post here so apologies if I repeat anything that's already been said!

I created a (rather haphazard!) Bluetooth Comms Link for my Organiser II a while back and documented the project on Hackaday.io. Sadly, my 'Bluetoothed Comms Link' has been 'in need of repair' for quite a while now so I'm not able to test it at the moment. My hardware abilities aren't great, but it worked reasonably well for a while. I'll read and follow the progress on here with interest.

Regarding alternatives to Psi2Win - I was able to get good two-way communication between my Organiser II (XP) and my Linux laptop using the XMODEM protocol via the 'minicom' terminal emulator. The disadvantage was that I could only send 'text' files and OPL program listings - not 'compiled' program files as you can with CL.EXE etc.
olivierg

Post by olivierg »

Hello,

Today i have tested solution:
The transfert with PSI2WIN works.

How to:
1) Cut the +5V power from PSION in comms-link DB. (You can place schottky diode between connector and PCB).
2) Connect the 5V from PCB to 5V on Bluetooth adapter. (USB).
3) Connect RX,TX and GND to DB connector.
4) set the 9600 8N1 and no protocol
5) Launch term in PSION and test connection (Type AT -> Response OK)
6) Connect to Windows.
6a) For check, launch terminal software on windows (like Coolterm), type any char on booth device.
7) Quit terminal on booth device, and change the protocol in comm's link in PSION
8) Launch PSI2WIN with correct com port and start.

Now you can recieve and send file using comm's link menu.
I have tested with OPL and blocnote file.

With this modification of comm's link, normaly any software works.
The initial problem is the loss of signal states when no communication program is running on the PSION, the software in the comm's link ROM is programmed to shut down the comm's link hardware to save the battery.

Thanks
Olivier
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

olivierg wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:06 pm Hello,

Today i have tested solution:
The transfert with PSI2WIN works.

How to:
1) Cut the +5V power from PSION in comms-link DB. (You can place schottky diode between connector and PCB).
2) Connect the 5V from PCB to 5V on Bluetooth adapter. (USB).
3) Connect RX,TX and GND to DB connector.
4) set the 9600 8N1 and no protocol
5) Launch term in PSION and test connection (Type AT -> Response OK)
6) Connect to Windows.
6a) For check, launch terminal software on windows (like Coolterm), type any char on booth device.
7) Quit terminal on booth device, and change the protocol in comm's link in PSION
8) Launch PSI2WIN with correct com port and start.

Now you can recieve and send file using comm's link menu.
I have tested with OPL and blocnote file.

With this modification of comm's link, normaly any software works.
The initial problem is the loss of signal states when no communication program is running on the PSION, the software in the comm's link ROM is programmed to shut down the comm's link hardware to save the battery.

Thanks
Olivier
Hi Olivier.
You wrote "1) Cut the +5V power from PSION in comms-link DB. (You can place schottky diode between connector and PCB)."
I think that there is no connection between 5V power pin(12 Vcc) and the DB connector. If it is like that what is the colour of this wire?
Are you going to produce a new comms link pcb for bluetooth communication?
Last edited by NickKostelidis on Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
olivierg

Post by olivierg »

The problem:
1) will be to install a battery in the comm's link box.
2) You will also need 1 switch to turn off.
3) A push button for bluetooth reset.
4) A connector for charging the battery.
5) 2 leds to see the connection and battery status.
6) The bluetooth module.

That's a lot in this little box.

I hesitate ....

Thanks
Olivier
MartinReid

Comms Link and Bluetooth - Working!

Post by MartinReid »

Welcome James... I read 'and shared' your Hackaday project with interest.

Olivier... Well done! You've made the process look very clear and understandable, although beyond my capabilities. There are members of the PSION Facebook group that were employees at PSION back in the day. I wonder what their 1990's self would think of the fact that one day an Organiser would be communicating wirelessly with a PC?

Still watching with interest.
Martin
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

Olivier
Maybe we could modify the back cover of the comms link box. We could make it larger (make a new one using a 3D printer).
Could you say what is the extra volume that will be needed?
Attachments
commsusb2_ins1.jpg
commsusb2_ins2.jpg