Comms Link and Bluetooth

Feel free to discuss any harware topic here
olivierg

Comms Link and Bluetooth

Post by olivierg »

Hello All,

I have tested the posibility to use CL with bluetooth module.
I have used DB version for with software V4.2

First problem, the BT line RX and TX works in 3.3V level, but for test in use simple voltage divider.
Works only in terminal mode because, the CL software enable the power on slot only during the transfert, except in terminal mode because is continuous data flux.

I don't think we can solve this software (register ?).
Or it would be necessary to write a complete software.

The only solution I see is to install a small battery with a 5V converter to power the BT module.

Thanks
Olivier
NickKostelidis

Re: Comms Link and Bluetooth

Post by NickKostelidis »

I am trying to do the same thing.
For the moment I am trying to change the data bit setting from 8 bits to 7. Can anyone tell me what is the AT command to allow me to make this change?
Nick Kostelidis.
MartinReid

Post by MartinReid »

Nick...

Am I missing something? Can you not just use the LSET command to change the Bit% setting?

Republished manual extract...
LSET:
You can change the communications parameters from within a program - you don't have to leave Prog and go into the Comms menu to enter the Setup option. Use LSET:

LSET:(Baud%,Parity%,Bits%,Stop%,Hand%,Echo%,Width%,Reol$,Reof$,Rtrn$,Teol$,Teof$,Ttr$,Timeout%,Protocol%)

It can't be that simple, I must have missed something!
Sincerely
Martin
olivierg

Post by olivierg »

I feel like we don't have the same comms link usage, my search for the BT version is mostly for use with psi2win. I use to do the transfer only.

If you create your own application in this case you may be able to find a solution to leave the comms link powered on, in which case the BT could have worked.

On the other hand, given the size of the PCB, you will have to choose between the USB function and the USB power supply.

Olivier
olivierg

Post by olivierg »

For reply email from Nick and Mike:

The term TTL is used to define the technology used.
The problem lies in the tensions. Most often we work in 0V = low state -> 5V = high state, for the RS232 -12V = low state + 12v = high state, for the bluetooth module 0V = low state 3.3v = high state.
To do the test with the BT module, I directly took the 5V signal at the output of the 74HC244 pin13 and pin 18.

If Nick's idea is to simply connect a bluetooth module to the DB9 connector (or 25) of the comms link, it's easier, you need a level adapter (RS232) and a battery to power the module.

Olivier
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

MartinReid wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:01 pm Nick...

Am I missing something? Can you not just use the LSET command to change the Bit% setting?

Republished manual extract...
LSET:
You can change the communications parameters from within a program - you don't have to leave Prog and go into the Comms menu to enter the Setup option. Use LSET:

LSET:(Baud%,Parity%,Bits%,Stop%,Hand%,Echo%,Width%,Reol$,Reof$,Rtrn$,Teol$,Teof$,Ttr$,Timeout%,Protocol%)

It can't be that simple, I must have missed something!
Sincerely
Martin
Hi to all .
Martin I know about lset command.
But if you connect a bluetooth module on the exit of comms link,
you have to setup the communication parameters of the module too.
The most popular bluetooth modules are HC-05 and HC-06.
The default setup for these modules is 9600,n,8,1.
This is the default setup for Psion comms link too.
The only parameter you have to change is the "protocol" parameter in order to have communication between Psion II and the PC using Psi2Win. But this can be seted up with the LSET command on the organizer. This has nothing to do with the bluetooth module.
In the case of communication between Psion II and PC the bluetooth module must work in "slave" mode because the PC's bluetooth is always working in "master" mode.
Now when you want to have communication between Psion II and a surveying instrument the bluetooth module must work in "master" mode.The module on the instrument is always working in "slave" mode.The communication setup of many brands of surveying instruments  working with 8 data bits.
For example the default communication setup for "Nikon" instruments is
4800,n,8,1.
For Sokkia - Sokkisha instruments is 1200 or 2400,n or e,8,1
So you have to setup the bluetooth module except the comms link.
This can be done using arduino terminal or tera terminal of hyper terminal or with some other android apps.
There is a table of commands (AT commands) that you can use for this purpose.
Unfortunately with these commands you can change the baud rate setting , the parity setting , the stop bit setting  from 1 to 2 but you cannot change the data bits setting from 8 to7.
On this point I have to tell you that the default communication setup for Topcon surveying instruments is 1200,e,7,1.
Bingo.
How to change the data bits from 8 to 7?
That is why I am asking if anyone knows a way to do this.
I have bought from ebay this bluetooth adapter for Topcon instruments
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-adap ... %7Ciid%3A1
The russian who produces these adapters says that he has written his own code list using an android app. And of course he does not publish this code.
So can anyone help?
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

olivierg wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:05 am For reply email from Nick and Mike:

The term TTL is used to define the technology used.
The problem lies in the tensions. Most often we work in 0V = low state -> 5V = high state, for the RS232 -12V = low state + 12v = high state, for the bluetooth module 0V = low state 3.3v = high state.
To do the test with the BT module, I directly took the 5V signal at the output of the 74HC244 pin13 and pin 18.

If Nick's idea is to simply connect a bluetooth module to the DB9 connector (or 25) of the comms link, it's easier, you need a level adapter (RS232) and a battery to power the module.

Olivier
Hello Olivier. Yes this is my idea but only for a test if it works. Of course you are professional and you can design and produce the right comms link board in order to be possible to be fitted inside the comms link case.
But I realise that the bluetooth module you intend to use will work in "slave" mode in order to have wireless communication between Psion II and the pc.
Furthermore it is obvious that you don't have to change the data bit parameter.
Anyway If you produce bluetooth comms link I will buy.
But please use an HC-05 module in order I be able to change the mode from "slave" to "master".
Also please try to put the TxD and RxD pins on a place on the board that I will be easy to see them.
Best regards.
MartinReid

Comms Link and Bluetooth - Further Research

Post by MartinReid »

Ok Nick..

I've read through this thread couple of times; it kind of reminds me of back in the day trying to connect PSION's to Sinclair's to H.P. Plotters and Epson printers. In those days they had DIP switches that all had to be aligned.

Did you see Shah Saifur Rahman's instructable project..
https://www.instructables.com/AT-comman ... th-module/

I tried to read it but soon got out of my depth, but did notice him getting the HC05 into AT mode.

and Wolfgang Ewald has a HC-05 post...
https://wolles-elektronikkiste.de/en/hc ... th-modules

I'll keep watching this thread with interest.
Martin.
NickKostelidis

Re: Comms Link and Bluetooth - Further Research

Post by NickKostelidis »

MartinReid wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:14 pm Ok Nick..

I've read through this thread couple of times; it kind of reminds me of back in the day trying to connect PSION's to Sinclair's to H.P. Plotters and Epson printers. In those days they had DIP switches that all had to be aligned.

Did you see Shah Saifur Rahman's instructable project..
https://www.instructables.com/AT-comman ... th-module/

I tried to read it but soon got out of my depth, but did notice him getting the HC05 into AT mode.

and Wolfgang Ewald has a HC-05 post...
https://wolles-elektronikkiste.de/en/hc ... th-modules

I'll keep watching this thread with interest.
Martin.
Thank you very much Martin.
I will let you know as soon as I have good news.
I hope soon.
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

Hi to all.
Today I tried to have communication between Psion II and a surveying instrument via bluetooth. First I connected an HC-05 bluetooth module on the comms link exit. I used only three wires TxD, RxD, and Ground. I paired the HC-05 module  with an HC-06 module (slave) and I sent some data to the comms link. As soon as I sent data to the comms link I got the message "DEVICE READ ERROR" (Error number 193).
After that I connected the follow bluetooth device
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-Bluetoot ... 2749.l2649
to comms link with the same way as in the first case.
I got the same same message.
I measured voltage between TxD wire and the Ground wire.
I don't know if that helps but the voltage was 32mV.
Power supply of the bluetooth module came from an external battery straight to the module.
Can anyone help?