Bluetooth/Wifi Comms Link Project Repository

Feel free to discuss any harware topic here
amenjet

Bluetooth/Wifi Comms Link Project Repository

Post by amenjet »

I have just made a GitHub repository public. It is a prototype PCB for a Bluetooth Comms Link. It uses bits of other projects I have worked on recently. The idea is that it uses a Raspberry Pi Pico which sits on the top slot signals and emulates a ROM (the comms link code). The Pico also handles the accesses to the serial port signals of the 6303 as it is on the top slot bus. There's then a WROOM module that can do wifi and bluetooth. The idea is that traffic to and from the WROOM gets buffered in the Pico and set/received over the top slot bus to the 6303 and the Organiser comms link code.

The ROM emulation comes from the SD card gadget and the top slot prototype that i worked on.
The WROOM module code can come from the recreation code which can currently work in Bluetooth or wifi modes depending on a compile time switch.

There's a battery on board and a charger circuit, designed to work from a power supply like the original Psion Organiser II supply.
As there's a Pico on board it would also be possible to route USB traffic into the comms link code, I think, subject to mechanically being able to connect a USB cable.

The repository has just a PCB at the moment, code will appear once the PCBs are back in a couple of weeks or so and I have debugged the circuitry a bit.

Repository is here:

https://github.com/blackjetrock/psion-o ... th-adapter

Regards

Andrew
MartinReid

Bluetooth/Wifi Comms Link

Post by MartinReid »

I'm sure Νίκος will be very excited about this development, he has been wishing for years for a Bluetooth connection between his Organiser LZ and his Land Surveying Total Station.
amenjet

Re: Bluetooth/Wifi Comms Link Project Repository

Post by amenjet »

Yes, he has been involved in the project, mainly in a steering capacity...
Regards
Andrew
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

I hope 2022 this dream of mine will become true :)
My best wishes for a happy new year to all.
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

I thought I'd better say that the stuff in the repository is very much prototype. I haven't built it or tested the circuit in any way yet. Indeed, while eating breakfast this morning I realised there was a problem with the power circuit. Fortunately I have come up with a cunning plan, but it does require re-wiring of the circuit and cutting of tracks etc.
So don't build one exactly like this yet, unless you want to do some prototyping.

Regards
Andrew