Recreation of the Organiser II

Feel free to discuss any harware topic here
MartinReid

Post by MartinReid »

Andrew is at it again.. He's only gone and recreated the Organiser II curcuit boards. Those not subscribing to his YouTube channel will find the latest 'Recreation Video's' (here) ..

I'm posting a couple of images as 'tasters' to wet your appetite..
-
New main PCB and power boards in position
New main PCB and power boards in position
-
Compare original LCD with new OLED display
Compare original LCD with new OLED display
-
You really must watch the video's
Martin
hawsey

Re: Recreation of the Organiser II

Post by hawsey »

:o
PaulK

Post by PaulK »

That is just incredible! There MUST be a market for these once finished.

One of the biggest and best news stories for Psion Org 2 fans the world over. Cannot wait to see this when it's complete. So great to see it all still fits in the original case - for me at least, that's one thing that doesn't need any mods 👍

How does someone even go about such a feat? Pure genius :-)

Very well done Andrew. Full respect to you sir!

All the best
Paul
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

Hello.
Do you intent to recreate the LZ model too?
Thank you.
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Yes, I have got the LZ ROM running. The clock isn't working yet, and the pack interface isn't working yet.
For anyone who's interested, some details:
The code runs an emulator of the 6303 processor with some code that takes acesses to the hardware on an organiser and
maps it to the hardware that I have put on the PCBs. For example the organiser code scans the keyboard using a counter in the Semi Custom Asic. The emulator knows when that counter is accessed and it drive an 8 bit shift register that outputs the counter value, which is used as the KB scan drive lines. The keyboard sense lines are read using an 8 bit parallel load shift register which the emulator reads then maps the value to one of the ports of the 6303. As an added complication I have use a 1 as a key pressed level, rather than the organisers 0 level. So the logic is inverted on the scan and sense lines. All this is hidden from the organiser firmware that is running on the emulator.

Regards

Andrew
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

PaulK wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:44 am That is just incredible! There MUST be a market for these once finished.

One of the biggest and best news stories for Psion Org 2 fans the world over. Cannot wait to see this when it's complete. So great to see it all still fits in the original case - for me at least, that's one thing that doesn't need any mods 👍

How does someone even go about such a feat? Pure genius :-)

Very well done Andrew. Full respect to you sir!

All the best
Paul
Yes, the case is really robust. It also has quite a bit of space inside.
The original code runs on an emulator on a raspberry pi pico, with some extra circuitry to replace the original organiser things like keyboard scanning etc.
The main board with the keyboard matrix on it is a stand alone organiser with no interfaces, and the 'power' PCB has the slot interfaces and a wifi module. It's been designed so you could replace the power pcb with one that had different hardware, for instance SD cards for storage instead of datapack slots.
You could also run bespoke code, either an Organiser equivalent, or something conmpletely different. That would run quite fast, as the emulator has quite an overhead.

Regards

Andrew
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

Hello again.
I read that you plan to install bluetooth communication on the Psion II organizer as well. I would like to urge you, that the psion can function both as a slave and as a master also, in terms of bluetooth communication. I would also like to be able to communicate with 7 data bits during bluetooth communication.
Finally, I would like to ask you if it is absolutely necessary to replace the original screen with another one in the new Psion II lz.
Best regards.
Nick Kostelidis.
MartinReid

Post by MartinReid »

You can't keep a good man down... Andrew has put the LZ ROM in the Recreated Organiser... The link (here) will take you to the 5th video in the series...

Νίκος check out Andrew's video, you will see that the OLED display of the LZ screen is good and means it can be used to display LZ when the PCB is fitted in a XP case.

Regards
Martin
-
LZ Start Up Screen
LZ Start Up Screen
-
Choose Language
Choose Language
-
LZ Main Menu
LZ Main Menu
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

Hello Martin.
I check Andrew’s videos almost every day :).
I have 9 devices and all of them are models LZ and LZ64. Do I have to start buying XP models?
Best regards.
Nikos.
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

NickKostelidis wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:57 am Hello Martin.
I check Andrew’s videos almost every day :).
I have 9 devices and all of them are models LZ and LZ64. Do I have to start buying XP models?
Best regards.
Nikos.
Hello,

As far as I'm aware, the XP and LZ models have the same case, in fact I think every model has the same case, apart form the models that have missing keys, maybe I am wrong there. So the boards should fit in anything. I have bought a batch of Peter White's non functional units so I can fit these PCBs in a case without discarding fully working original internals. Buying fully working Xps is more pricey too.

regards

Andrew