The Organiser is dead. Long live the Organiser.

Feel free to discuss any harware topic here
Lostgallifreyan

The Organiser is dead. Long live the Organiser.

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

That heading is intended to get the idea across, that with Olivier Gossuin's work, and my ORG-Link, and Martin P's effort to recreate the entire Organiser schematic, and such, there is increasing scope to extend the Organiser in ways that solve many current needs, especially as resources and energy get rarer and rapidly more expensive, and we need to rein in our consumption and use of machines that use far more than they need to do useful work.

Arduinos various exist, but the Organiser was always there, decades earlier, and has always been a far more complete solution! (Up to a point, anyway... Depends what I/O we need, mostly)

The problem with Organisers is that no-one's making them, and that existing ones don't have backlit screens.

That backlight problem is interesting, because it may be easier to solve than it looks. I'm aware that Martin Reid has been working on 3D printing of the little grey topslot boxes for USB Comms Links and such, because those are currently sourced from old power adapters and getting rare!

Once 3D printing of cases is established, then a specific project may be viable: new Organiser cases, that can hold the existing innards but with layout capable of holding a standard LED backlit LCD screen.

To start looking into this, we need to know if the standard screens of the type Arduino-people use a lot, can be made to work with the Organiser. I suspect they can. The I2C bit will have to go, but then the standard address lines can probably be used in 4-bit address mode, because the Organiser appears to use that too. It's been a standard for decades too, despite different IC's used to drive the LCD. I think there are four contacts (plus ground) available on the standard Organiser circuit board that may drive these backlit LCD's with no modification of any existing circuit!

Has anyone tried this? If so, did it work? If yes to both, then there is a possible way to resurrect Organiser production, starting with reclaiming existing devices whose only problem is a battered case.
MartinReid

Organiser developments

Post by MartinReid »

Lostgallifreyan

You are correct there is still plenty of scope for the Organiser II... I really need you to watch Andrew's video's (here) to see how he has developed the SC Card Datapak Gadget. I now you have difficulties with YouTube, so if you PM me an address I've burnt the MP4 videos to a DVD; I'll send it you so you can watch them... I know you will be impressed.

Always sincere
Martin
Lostgallifreyan

Re: The Organiser is dead. Long live the Organiser.

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

I'm definitely interested in that, but is there any chance it can be described with text and a photo or two? Using several hundreds of megabytes to convey introductory information is the kind of thing that demands resources we desperately need to cut down our consumption of. It's not just access to YouTube that thwarts me, it's the desire to not encourage such huge uses of data without need, that prevents me wanting to watch those videos.

The work itself, the use of SD cards in datapacks, is a very useful addition, I have no problem with that. I'd probably buy some. :) I might need help with that though, as Paypal and now Ebay have gone out of reach due to too many weird coding obstacles and demands on extensive upgrades and new hardware just to keep up with the changes. I have the money, it's getting it to people that is increasingly tough. (I was relying on Peter's Ebay sales for some hardware because Olivier Gossuin won't use Ebay. Now it's all moot, I don't want to use either system anymore.)
MartinReid

Organiser developments - Top Slot Adaptor

Post by MartinReid »

MartinReid wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:35 pm Lostgallifreyan

You are correct there is still plenty of scope for the Organiser II... I really need you to watch Andrew's video's (here) to see how he has developed the SC Card Datapak Gadget. I now you have difficulties with YouTube, so if you PM me an address I've burnt the MP4 videos to a DVD; I'll send it you so you can watch them... I know you will be impressed.

Always sincere
Martin

There is no holding Andrew back... he's now developing a Top Slot Prototype... (here)

Martin