MicroSD Card DataPak

Feel free to discuss any harware topic here
amenjet

Re: MicroSD Card DataPak gadget

Post by amenjet »

MartinReid wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:41 pm DSCI0244a.JPG
-
I've had the pleasure of testing out Andrew's SDCard Datapak Gadgets.. I've posted a review / test report (here)
-
Always Sincere
Martin
Martin,

I've just had a read of your review and I agree with the comments and notes. The RP2040 isn't a particularly low power device especially when compared to a static RAM chip as used in the ram packs.
It's interesting comparing the gadget to a comms link. I think of it as a library of ROM datapacks. It doesn't work too well as a ram pack, as you said, due to the power loss losing RAM contents.
Thanks for your review, there's a lot of work there.

Regards
Andrew
hawsey

Re: MicroSD Card DataPak

Post by hawsey »

Fantastic work here Andrew, my favourite tech, old meets new. The OLED display is used in the DMR Radio mmdvm devices and are nice and clear.
I've been using my Psion to log Ham radio contacts recently, using Martin's great Hamlog program he has recently programmed.
Much respect for your work here 👍
MartinReid

Sorry - Off Topic - HamLog Morse Tutor!

Post by MartinReid »

Gary...

Off topic but... Tell everyone about the HamLog Morse Tutor... It makes me smile every time I think of the messages it sends..

Always sincere
Martin
hawsey

Re: Sorry - Off Topic - HamLog Morse Tutor!

Post by hawsey »

MartinReid wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:24 pm Gary...

Off topic but... Tell everyone about the HamLog Morse Tutor... It makes me smile every time I think of the messages it sends..

Always sincere
Martin
Martin kindly made a morse tutor to fit inside his Hamlog program. The message it sends out to learn is
"There's life Jim but not as we know it" :lol:
Do be honest Martin, it was going too quick for me so I hadn't decoded it, I have just downloaded an Android App called Morse Expert and it worked splendidly better than my brain ha ha.
I have a question but will post on the Hamlog thread 👍

Regards

Gary
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

Good Evening. I would like to ask if we can load opl routines on the SD card and run them as they would run through a data pack or a flash pack.
Thank you.
MartinReid

MicroSD Card DataPak

Post by MartinReid »

Hi Νίκος..

I'm going to explain why the answer is No and Yes

As Andrew says in the post above, the datapak gadget reads and writes OPK's (data pack images). If you have ever used the developer utilities BLDPACK and MAKE or Jaaps OPK files editor you will know that these will not allow OPL's to be built into an OPK, and you have to include the translated OB3's. So the answer in this case is 'No' you cannot load OPL's (from the SDCARD) to the gadget pack RAM. After saying that, as you can with Ram, Data and Flash packs you can 'Copy' OPL's (OPL and/or OB3) from the memory A: to a pack in B: or C: and then UNMAKE this to PC - or use the [Write] option on the datapak gadget to copy them to the SDCard and then back again.

This makes it sound complicated but in fact when I used it it was simple. Create a programme datapak image (OPK) containing all the translated OPL's (OB3's) NTS's (OB7's) PLN's (OB5's) as if you were going to make a programme datapak, but put this OPK on the SDCard and select and read this from the card to the gadget RAM.

If you want to try one I could ask Andrew if it's ok and lend/send you the USB powered one that you can insert in B: or (I prefer) C:

Hope this answers your question.
Martin
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

Hello Martin.
Ok then.
Let me ask my question in a different way.
I usually create an OPK file and using the MAKE command I upload this OPK file to a blank DATA PACK or to a DATA FLASH PACK.
I have all the communication programs with different brands of surveying instruments loaded in a 512k flash data pack. The space occupied by these programs in the flash data pack is about 420 kilobytes. This means that there is still space for another brand of surveying instruments.
If I can save and run more programs with this gadget, that would be interesting, as long as the programs run normally like a data pack or a flash data pack.
Best regards.
MartinReid

MicroSD Card DataPak

Post by MartinReid »

Dear Νίκος

I see what you mean... The SDCard Datapak Gadget will not improve on what you have there. Think of it as a 'Comms Link' substitute. A means of getting OPK's from the PC via an SDCard to the Organiser without having to connect a physical Comms Link. You will get a better idea of what the gadget is/does if you read my review/test report (here). For you (and me incidentally) the problem is the RAM on the gadget is volatile so when it is powered off the memory is lost until you [load] it back again from the SDCard. Probably the best use you would get out of it is copying your field data to the gadget RAM then writing this to the SDCard for transfer to the PC (inside an OPK).

I don't know for sure but I think the whole SDCard Datapak Gadget exercise was just a 'practice' in advance of the PCB replacement Andrew is developing, which I've posted in another thread (here) .

Don't loose heart though if you watch Andrews Recreated PDB video you will see he is planning on incorporating WIFI or Bluetooth which is what you've wanted all along.

Regards
Martin
NickKostelidis

Post by NickKostelidis »

Good Evening.
I watched all of Andrew's videos and read Martin's reports on Andrew's work.
Andrew's effort is really impressive.
Of course it would be good to start with the simulation of an lz but even so it is a very impressive effort.
I look forward to the final result.