P250 Cipher

Feel free to discuss any harware topic here
hawsey

P250 Cipher

Post by hawsey »

At work (BT) back in the late 1980s we were given Psion P250 ( two line display ) devices primarily for timesheet purposes , we called them Ciphers .

We would on initial switch on input employee number , group name , headquarters ,hours worked etc .
We would press travel / onsite then close our jobs , all of which was stored , at the end of the working week ( Wednesday night if I remember correctly ) the timesheet chip was removed and put inside a sturdy plastic pouch with a reversible address window ,which sealed with strong velcro , this was sent off to pay group to be read and erased . Then sent back to you for the next week .

I remember storing my CD collection catalogued on my Psion and when we had a party , I would give them the device to see what CDs I had , oh how cool I was ha ha .
I notice on the device I still have that it has a Print function , I don't remember anybody having a printer for theirs .

https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/pics/gall ... 250-36.jpg
amenjet

Re: P250 Cipher

Post by amenjet »

If you want to turn a P250 into a normal Organiser then you can replace the ROM, perhaps after an amount of messing about getting the correct
programming adapter, like I did:

https://youtu.be/lcPsgs2blo8

Andrew
Lepowerfulpierre

Post by Lepowerfulpierre »

There is a much easier way - buy a Y2K & INFO pack from me! A 16k datapack with a software update patch to autoboot a P250 into XP mode, and be able to use TIMEINST program to reset the current date, and the INFO program to show the content of A (internal ROM, Ram and version, B & C connections (datapack or Rampack size and free space etc) and any topslot (D) connection showing type of device (Barcode reader, Comms !ink, Mag card reader etc including version number, type etc etc).
For £2 + postage!
Why hasn’t everyone bought one!
P.S. they are not copy protected either, but if you can buy Datapacks for less I would be interested in discussing a price!!!
It will also autoboot a P200, but not the P464 or P432 (separate pack available).
Lepowerfulpierre

Post by Lepowerfulpierre »

P.S. Andrew, one of the XPs I sent you has the Y2K pack in it. If you run the program TIMEINST, you can set the current time and date, it can then be removed to leave the slot free for another datapack. If you run the INFO program (enter it into the top level menu to save having to go through P, R enter INFO etc), you will see how useful this is. It even differentiates BCR and BCR dual Comms!
Thinking about it, I included one with the P250 I sent you a while ago (the Upjohn one on your videos). - I thought you would have realised!
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Peter,
I think he upjohn organiser is an LZ, or is it a recased something else?
I did try the INFO pack, and I have patched a P250 in the past, but swapping the ROm is more permanent. I wasn't sure until I emulated the ROM that it would work. I wondered if there was some subtle difference in hardware that would stop standard code from running, but it appears not. It is a fiddle to burn a ROM, as the part seems to be a less than standard size.

Of course, I did it partly, ok mainly, for fun and to see if it would work...
Regards
Andrew