Most Powerful OPL Machine?

Feel free to discuss any Organiser II related topic here
toml12953

Post by toml12953 »

I'm looking for the most powerful Psion machine capable of running OPL. I know the Series 7 can run it but is there any machine better than the 7 which can? Thanks for any input!
amenjet

Re: Most Powerful OPL Machine?

Post by amenjet »

Do you mean powerful as in fast? If so then I'd have thought an emulator running on a powerful desktop would be pretty fast, but not very portable.

Regards

Andrew
toml12953

Post by toml12953 »

amenjet wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:10 am Do you mean powerful as in fast? If so then I'd have thought an emulator running on a powerful desktop would be pretty fast, but not very portable.

Regards

Andrew
Not just fast but having the most memory. I was limiting myself to actual physical Psion handheld (or desktop) products rather than emulators. BTW, do you know of any OPL emulators that run on Windows? I can't seem to make Jaap's recognize the Maths Pack when it's inserted. I can't do a DIR of any drive but A:
MartinReid

Post by MartinReid »

Dear TomL

You have opened a can of worms now.. Asking which is the best PION is like asking which of your children is your favourite.

Wikipedia has good specifications for most models (here)...

Consider

Series 3MX 2MB some would say the best..

The Series 5 of course has the fantastic keyboard acknowledged by many as being the best on any 'pocket device'. This of course has the 32bit operating system. Reading owners reviews it is surprising how many Series 5 users still consider their previous 3 series to be better.

There is of course the netBook and the series 7 but these are as rare as hen’s teeth.

And then don't forget my personal favourite the even rarer PSION MC-400 (here) which was discontinued with the release of the Series 3 and I've only ever seen two for sale. The MC series was the proving platform for the Series 3 integrated software.

After saying all that you will never get me to part with my Organiser LZ's

Jaaps Emulator.

I've just confirmed that Jape will run the Maths Pack with either XP or LZ selected. Granted that 'Maths' does automatically boot to the Top Level Menu.. But it is there.. Try this...

Select your preferred Organiser Model [Select]
Select Packs: 'Maths Pack' [Slot B:] > Confirm the current configuration shows Slot B: Maths Pack
Turn the Organiser [ON] > Adjust the screen contrast! Don't you just love that?

XP > [PROG] [DIR] [MODE] 'B:' [EXE] 'B:Maths' > [ON] [RUN]'B:MATHS' [EXE]
LZ > [Prog] [Dir] [MODE] 'B:' [down arrow] '*' 'OPL MATHS 221' > [ON] [Run]'B:MATHS' [EXE]

Always sincere
Martin

PS I still use PSION's original 'Developer' (here) in 32bit CMD.EXE or 64bit DOSBox to write, test and debug my OPL programmes, modules and applications.. I like it because amongst other things you can trace and step thought the programme as it is running. You can examine variables and watch for changes and then when ready you can BUILD and MAKE the datapak images which you can then test in Jape.
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Jaap's Jape is excellent, and a really polished bit of code. I used it when I created the emulator for the re-creation and it was useful. So there is another emulator that is written in C and will probably run anywhere, but the latest and greatest version runs on a raspberry Pi Pico on the re-creation hardware. Early on I did have a command line version that ran in a basic text terminal using curses for the display and keyboard, but it's very rough compared to Jape. It should run anywhere that there's a C compiler, though.

Actually, I did port the 6303 file from Jape and attached it to the command line emulator as a parallel emulator checking my code. So you could maybe port jape fairly easily to C if needed.

regards

Andrew
PaulK

Post by PaulK »

Hi

Just out of interest, why do you require such a fast machine?

Not being nosey, just really like to hear what other people are using their Psion machines for!

All the best
Paul
toml12953

Post by toml12953 »

PaulK wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:49 pm Hi

Just out of interest, why do you require such a fast machine?

Not being nosey, just really like to hear what other people are using their Psion machines for!

All the best
Paul
My hobby is a rather strange one. I'm actually either using or writing multuser operating systems on as many different types of computers as I can find. I have eight users running on a Raspberry Pi 3, two users on a TRS-80 Model 4D, sixteen users on a Core i9 PC (actually, I could have a couple hundred users but I don't want to buy that much hardware!) and four users on a Motorola 6800-based system running at 1MHz. Will it be possible to have multiple users on an Organiser? I don't know but it will be fun to try. Is there a practical use for all this? Nope. It just keeps me off the streets. My wife says she sometimes wishes I'd run around with other women instead of coding for computers. At least then she'd have a chance to compete for my attention!