Copying paks

Feel free to discuss any Organiser II related topic here
hawsey

Copying paks

Post by hawsey »

Hi all , first post on here , I've recently become interested in the psion ii ( P464) and had games and a quiz put on to two paks ( thanks Martin)
I'm trying for a friend to copy from one Pak to a blank one that has been wiped but am getting read only error
And ideas please ?
Lepowerfulpierre

Re: Copying paks

Post by Lepowerfulpierre »

The packs are copy protected for commercially produced software. They were produced using a Mark III copier, which allows original protection or protection removal or addition. The MkIII Copier was a very expensive piece of kit (and impressive to watch in action), but if anyone is interested I am willing to negotiate a price on one.
The alternative is very cheap, using a program called Fast5, which I currently sell on eBay. Ironically it is pretty slow (several minutes to copy an average pack). Fast5 removes the copy protection, so any copied packs can be recopied directly on a Psion (which is much faster than using Fast5). The only drawback is that removing the copy protection also removes the inclusion of the name of the program on the top level menu, which has to be entered manually.
There are a few packs which Fast5 won’t copy (e.g. Pocket Spreadsheet).
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for that explanation , it seems I have a bit to learn yet 🤔. I will leave ok in to those products mentioned .
MartinReid

Copying paks

Post by MartinReid »

Dear hawsey

What the powerfulpierre neglected to tell you (probably because it is not cricket to advertise here) is that he has most of the 'programme' packs for sale on his eBay store, for no more that the cost of the datapak containing it.

I realise that you already have spare datapaks so you could..

(1) Send some more packs for the datapak erasing service.
or
(2) Keep going with your Organiser development because when you have a Comms Link and unsized packs... You will be able to [MAKE] your own.

As you know, I'm just glad we have another enthusiastic Organiser II user.

Sincerely
Martin
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Martin
Hi again , yes I will send you some soon as have found a few more I need wiped and I don't have the UV light required for that , thank you.
So if I use the Comms link will I be able to copy a games pak from my PC ?
I am able to do this ok with the Quiz Pak ok .
MartinReid

MAKE Packs

Post by MartinReid »

hawsey wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:34 am Martin
Hi again , yes I will send you some soon as have found a few more I need wiped and I don't have the UV light required for that , thank you.
So if I use the Comms link will I be able to copy a games pak from my PC ?
I am able to do this ok with the Quiz Pak ok .
MAKE datapaks.. Read page 28 to 30ish of the republished developer manual (here)...

Jaap has the programme packs (here)...

Unfortunately both Olivier (here) and lePowerfulPierre (here) look to be out of stock of the NEW USB Comms Link...

But to answer your question... Yes with the knowledge, an unsized datapak, the programme pack image (.OPK) and a Comm Link you can MAKE your own programme pack.

Sincerely
Martin

PS I must add an obervation for those new users just stating out with their Organiser II's - I would not start with MAKEing packs. I guess it is something you would work towards.