Comms link cables to Usb using adapters

Feel free to discuss any harware topic here
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Comms link cables to Usb using adapters.
I've found my Comms link Psion II cable which has a big serial connector with 26 pins , I don't think that I now have a computer with that connection .
Also
A while ago I did a little project which involved me connecting up a raspberry pi to an old Amber screen Wyse terminal , this involved making up a cable and using a usb232 converter to get the connection , pi to terminal .
I have the cables and thought that maybe it could work , however the large end is male with the pins sticking out , so is the one on the Psion Comms link .
Would a 26 pin female to female get me working here ?
I can send photos of the cables but can't work out how to post them on here 👍🤔
MartinReid

Post by MartinReid »

More reading I'm affraid.. Jaap has the answers to all these 'link' questions (here) and others you may not have though of yet. You may need a gender changer (here).

Did you check if you have a COMMS LINK (has protocol=PSION in setup) or an RS232 Link (doesn't have PSION Protocol)?

Don't forget to consider the power supply.

Martin
hawsey

Re: Comms link cables to Usb using adapters

Post by hawsey »

Martin ,

I have a PSU , the two cables I have both have Comms Link written on them , so are they the correct ones ?
I'll read those links
Regards
Gary .
Lostgallifreyan

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

If you want to use an original Comms Link to connect to USB, you can do it with a StarTech converter, part code ICUSB2321F. The only other thing you need to do is use a passive adapter that can connect your DB25 link connector to the DE9 chassis plug on the StarTech device. Ideally it's worth buying a DE9 line socket to replace the big one on the end of the Comms Link cable but you have to pay close attention to pin numbers and soldering irons if you do that.

Martin's point about the RS232 link without Psion protocol is interesting, I had no idea such a thing existed for the Organiser. It may be possible to use a Comms Link driver on a datapack to use it like a full Comms Link, but there's no substitute for getting the real thing, either original, or in Olivier Gossuin's form of USB link. The StarTech device might be more useful though if you have original link, or any other need to transfer between RS-232 and USB for other devices not related to Organisers.

EDIT:
It's worth knowing that the the FTDI driver for the StarTech device will also drive Olivier Gossuin's USB link. Better yet, for those who like the W98 operating system for its speed and small size, there is a driver for that too. FTDI did not include the internal code in the INF file to use Olivier Gossuin's USB link but I have an edited version attached here that does. It will support the StarTech device too. Later OS's use driver versions that are aware of both devices.
Attachments
USB Comms Link, W98.zip
Windows 98 driver for FTDI-based USB RS-232 converters.
(69.67 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
MartinReid

Credit Jaap...

Post by MartinReid »

Credit Jaap 'Comms Link notes' (here) for difference between RS232 Link and Comms Link.

I've only ever seen one RS232 Link, but I do advise 'new' users to check theirs to eliminate any possible comms issues..

Always sincere
Martin
Lostgallifreyan

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

Well, having explored the Psion protocol a lot for ORG-Link, I have to say it's very solid. It might even be a basis for DIY experiments in networking and packet transfer. It's probably faster than the method used on the internet, if it were not for the small packet size causing extra overheads. For transfers like text and small files it might be better than the net's methods. (Consider the ridiculous waste in carrying a Twitter post, let alone DISPLAYING it, for example!) I'd never use an Organiser link that couldn't do it.